Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal yesterday announced the release of the report of All India Survey on Higher Education 2019-20, which provides key performance indicators on the current status of Higher education in the country.
Key features of All India Survey on Higher Education Report 2019-20
1. Total Enrolment in Higher Education stands at 3.85 crore in 2019-20 as compared to 3.74 crore in 2018-19, registering a growth of 11.36 lakh (3.04 per cent). Total enrolment was 3.42 crore in 2014-15.
2. Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER), the percentage of students belonging to the eligible age group enrolled in Higher Education, in 2019-20 is 27.1 per cent against 26.3 per cent in 2018-19 and 24.3 per cent in 2014-2015.
3. Gender Parity Index (GPI) in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 1.01 against 1.00 in 2018-19 indicating an improvement in the relative access to higher education for females of eligible age group compared to males.
4. Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 26.
5. Status of Institutions in 2019-20: Universities: 1,043 (2 per cent); Colleges: 42,343 (77 per cent) and stand-alone institutions: 11,779 (21 per cent).
6. As many as 3.38 crore Students have enrolled in programmes at under-graduate and post-graduate level. Out of these, nearly 85 per cent of the students (2.85 crore) were enrolled in the six major disciplines such as Humanities, Science, Commerce, Engineering and Technology, Medical Science and IT and Computer.
7. The number of students pursuing PhD in 2019-20 is 2.03 lakh against 1.17 lakh in 2014-15.
8. The Total Number of Teachers stands at 15,03,156 comprising 57.5 per cent male and 42.5 per cent female.