India is becoming the non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the 8th time today for a period 2021-2022. Let's take a look at the historical journey
of India at the Security Council
Past tenures of India at Security Council
- 1950-51 - India as a president of UNSC, presided over the adoption of resolutions calling for the cessation of hostilities during the Korean war and for assistance to the Republic of Korea.
- 1967-68 - India co-sponsored resolution 238 extending mandate of UN Mission in Cyprus. First-ever security council resolution drafted by India
- 1972-73 - India pushed strongly for admission of Bangladesh into the UN. Resolution not adopted because of veto by a Permanent Member
- 1977-78 - India was a strong voice for African Countries in UNSC and spoke against Apartheid. India also spoke about Namibia's independence.
- 1984-85 - India raised voice for resolution of conflicts in the Middle East especially the Palestine, Lebanon etc.
- 1991-92 - India participated in the first-ever summit talks and spoke about India's role in the maintenance of peace and security
- 2011-12 - India raised strong voice for the developing countries and against counter-terrorism.